Safety, Health, Environmental and Quality Policy
Evraz Highveld Steel and Vanadium Limited ("the Company") is a vertically integrated steel and vanadium slag producer. The company obtains iron ore from Mapochs Mine (Proprietary) Limited of which holds the majority shares with a BEE partner. Mapochs Mine supplies magnetite iron ore form its Open Cast Mine near Roossenkal. The Company strives to create superior value and benefits on a sustainable basis across economic cycles for all stakeholders, by developing the business into a low cost steel and vanadium slag producer. The Company has implemented an integrated SHEQ management system in line with the relevant standards and specifications.
The Company is commited to:
- Actively promote and improve the safety and health of its employees including contractors, service providers and visitors on site through the application of the principles of HOTTO - Highveld zero tolerance, target zero and is underpinned by the CAST IRON RULES. This is an approach to safety and health which requires an absolute adherence to standards at all times and an intolerance to unsafe acts and conditions;
- Actively promote the protection of immediate and surrounding communities,groups,individuals,party,body or institution that have an interest in the activities, who can affect and who may be affected by the activities of Mapochs Mine;
- Prevent and/or mitigate injury and ill health as well as the degradation of the environment in which it operates in, in line with the identified occupational health and safety hazards and risks as well as environmental aspects and impacts identified;
- Comply with the applicable legal and other requirements relating to occupational health and safety hazards, risk management principles, environmental aspects and impacts and quality requirements to which the Company subscribes;
- Operate and manage a Rail System and Shunting Yard at the Steelworks and Mapochs Mine within the standards and regulations as prescribed by RSR (including Transnet regulations and standards);
- Provide a framework to ensure that quality requirements are identified,assesses and complied with;
- Provide a framework to proactively identify,assess,quantify and mitigate risks, to provide the Company with reasonable assurance that its objectives will be met;
- Provide a framework for setting and reviewing safety, health, environmental and quality objectives and targets;
- Communicate this policy to all persons working for and on behalf of the Company to make them aware of their individual obligations in meeting this policy;
- Review the SHEQ policy on a periodic basis to ensure it remains suitable, relevant and appropriate to the Company;
- Continual improvement of its SHEQ management system and SHEQ performance.
The management of the Company will pro-actively implement and lead their areas in achieving this policy and as Chief Executive Officer I commit myself and all Companys employees to the achievement of this policy through active involvement in the continual improvement of safety, health, environment and quality matters.
- SHEQ Policy (PDF Format)